Frequently Asked Questions
1.When do you need to apply for a license?
(1) You are required to apply for a food production license if your place of business produces food, including repackages food, for distribution to stores or retail outlets.
(2) You are required to apply for a food import license if a food product is imported for sale in the country.
(3) You are required to apply for a product license if the food produced or imported for sale is specifically controlled food, food with quality or standard requirements or food with labeling requirements.
(4) You are required to apply for a license to advertise if quality, properties or benefits of food are represented through advertising media.
(5) You are required to apply for variation of license if the details on the license have been changed.
2.Who is not required to apply for a license?
(1) A non-factory producer that produces soy milk in sealed container, honey, and general food is exempt from applying for a license.
(2) A person producing and selling food at a storefront, such as food that is served within a restaurant, hotel, school, hospital, is exempt from applying for a license.
(3) A producer of food for export only may produce or import food for export without having to apply for a product license, except a producer of specifically controlled food who still need to apply for a license from the FDA. A producer of food for export is still required to apply for a food production premises license.
3.Documents used for license application and period of consideration
You may find the details about the documents needed to be submitted and period of consideration before granting license in each case on public manuals website. You may learn more details from link: https://www.fda.moph.go.th/sites/food/SitePages/Manual.aspx.The information displayed on the website is in Thai languages. It is therefore recommended to contact your trading partner in Thailand to proceed with the application process and for your convenience in searching for information in Thai language.
4.Place to submit license application
At present, you may submit any food license application through the Internet. However, before using the system for the first time, you must submit documents to open an account at:
(1) Application for a food import license
- If your registered place of business is in Bangkok, please contact One Stop Service Center (OSSC) on the 4th Floor, Building 6, FDA Building.
- If your registered place of business is in another province, please contact the Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO).
(2) Application for a food production license
- If your food production premises is in Bangkok, please contact One Stop Service Center (OSSC) on the 4th Floor, Building 6, FDA Building.
- If your food production premises is in another province, please contact the Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) of the province where the premises is located.
5.Processing time for premises license application (excluding cases where amendment or revision is needed)
(1) Inspection of production premises: processing time is 10 working days.
(2) Granting food production license: processing time is 6 working days.
(3) Granting food import license: processing time is 5 working days.
Please check the license fees for each case from the Ministerial Regulation No. 5 and the Notification of the Ministry of Public Health, Re: Fees Collectable from Applicants in Food License Proceedings
7.Duties of licensees
(1) Issues concerning production/import premises
(1.1) The licensee must apply for license renewal before the lapse of the license, which is on or before 31st December of the third year after the year of license issuance.
(1.2) The licensee must apply for a product license before the production/importation for sale in cases of production/importation of specifically controlled food, food with quality or standard requirements, and food with labeling requirements.
(1.3) The licensee must display license evidence at an open and conspicuous place at the facility specified in the license.
(1.4) The licensee must display a sign with clear texts for a factory, a head office, or a food storage place as required by law.
(1.5) The licensee must regularly maintain the production/importation area, equipment and utensils in appropriate, adequate, clean and hygienic conditions in line with GMP rules.
(2) Issues concerning licensed products
(1.1) The licensee must produce or import the product as permitted by the license.
(1.2) The licensee must maintain the standards of the product, container, label and display of texts on the label in accordance with the relevant Notifications of the Ministry of Public Health.
(3) Issues concerning advertising
(3.1) The advertising media shall be made as approved in the attachment annexed to the application form for advertisement approval.
(3.2) The license number of the advertisement approval shall be presented in the approved advertising media.
(3.3) The advertisement approval is valid for no longer than 5 years from the date of approval.